As part of the Qatar British Festival 2018, the British Council Qatar ran a 105+dB 3D sound installation workshop with Year 10 students. They were shown how it is possible to use technology in playful, experimental ways, to make and create site-specific soundscapes that open up new ways of telling stories. The day included:
• an introduction to locative art - the field and concepts
• easy electronics building - creating custom sensor technology
• mapping narratives to place - identifying sites, walking and location as practice
• generating sound - creation of field recordings and "found sound" using Arduino technology
• an introduction to free prototyping software - how to build systems for creating responsive installations.
The students learned a lot during this engaging experience; big thanks to everyone involved.