Safeguarding, support and welfare
Doha College fully recognises its responsibility to safeguard, promote and protect the safety of all students in its care. This means ensuring safeguarding and child protection are at the forefront and underpin all relevant aspects of process and policy development at Doha College.
Ultimately, all systems, processes and policies should operate with the best interests of the child at their heart. Doha College has an attitude of ‘it could happen here’ and ‘Child Centered Safeguarding’ Doha College expects all staff to share this commitment.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and their families has a role to play. In order to fulfill this responsibility effectively, all practitioners should make sure their approach is child- centered. This means that they should consider, at all times, what is in the best interest of the child.
Uzma Zaffar, Executive Designated Safeguarding Lead
Protecting children from maltreatment
Taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
Preventing impairment of children’s mental and physical health or development
As part of Doha College's vision, we want to enable personal growth for each student and ensure that they have the opportunity to be happy and successful. To support this, the college promotes resilience and self-reflection through the ‘well-being wheel,’ and aims to provide the students with the toolkit to cope with the everyday challenges presented in life.
- Get the help they need when they need it;
- Be seen by a professional such as a teacher or doctor to make sure children are alright “not in immediate danger”? and not put at more risk;
- Be listened to seriously, and professionals will use their power to help children;
- Be able to discuss issues in private, if and when children want to, whilst also ensuring children are aware that their concerns cannot be kept confidential if they are considered to be in danger.
Doha College staff will:
- Be involved with children and help them understand decisions made about their lives;
- Provide children with a named adult to help them;
- Share information to protect children;
- Minimise disruption to other parts of children’s lives;
- Work together effectively on children’s behalf;
- Be competent, confident, properly trained and supported;
- Work to continually improve how and what is done to help children.
We will review our policy and procedures on an annual basis.
Safeguarding Leaflet for Volunteers and Visitors
Keeping Children Safe in Education (Part 1)
Keeping Children Safe in Education (Full document)
Working Together to Safeguard Children