The Science Faculty at Doha College offers Biology, Chemistry and Physics Advanced Level Modular courses. Pupils with a background in both Separate Sciences and Double Award Science are able and are encouraged to study Advanced Level Sciences at Doha College. We follow Edexcel International specifications. Each Department has a Subject Leader with direct responsibility for all aspects of their subject area.
The courses we offer are designed to enable pupils to study Science in higher education; to take up a scientific career or to provide a basis for other careers and life in today's highly scientific and technological world. Whichever path our pupils choose it is our philosophy to provide a scientific education to the highest standards to prepare and equip them appropriately.
The Aims of the Science Department
The Science Department shares the responsibility for the overall holistic education of the student. These can be thought of as broad aims and would include:
- Assisting students to develop a better understanding of the world in which they live
- Helping students recognise and solve their own problems
- Giving students the opportunity to improve their personal relationships
- Encouraging students to develop their communication skills
- Providing opportunities for students to develop ICT skills
- Preparing students to take a full part in society
These broad aims are exemplified further by reference to the more specific departmental aims. The Science Department maintains a commitment to pursue the following aims:
- All students are entitled to a broad, balanced education in science up to the age of 16.
- The content of the science curriculum should be part of a co-ordinated whole school curriculum.
- All appropriate books, materials and equipment will be provided and student assessment (formative, summative and self-assessment) will be closely monitored.
- Should they so wish, students will, on successful completion of their courses, be in a position to pursue continuing and higher education.
- To develop a life-long interest in and enjoyment of science.
- To provide a wide range of practical experiences and to develop practical skills.
- To develop thinking along the lines of scientific methodology and encourage problem solving.
- To give an understanding of the science relevant to pupils' interests, environment and future career and leisure needs.